Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 6 15/5

Team-Assigned Tasks

Analysis Report: 100% complete, took 0.1 hours. Client emailed me with sign-off.
Project Plan: 90% complete, took 8 hours. Created draft, received feedback from team members, created second draft, sent to client and sponsor for sign-off. Sponsor responded with several suggestions, which were implemented, and sign-off. Awaiting client sign-off. Produced 5 minutes screencast presenting project plan.
Meet with Team: 100% complete, took 1.25 hours. We discussed the logistics of the project, post project plan, and our plans for the next three weeks before our next deliverable is due.
Completed Team 15/5: 100% complete, took 15 minutes. See the team site for details.

Reflection

Remembering: What did I do?

See the Team-Assigned Tasks for specifics. I also completed my assigned reading.

Understanding: What was important about what I did? Did I meet my goals?

The creation of the project plan was an important organizational step. The document sets the project in very definitive terms. By working through each element, I was forced to confront and consider many aspects of what the project would and would not be, what would work, and what would not work.
In a sense, my goals were met. The deliverable project plan was completed and submitted on time, as was the presentation of the plan. Yet, this week saw the first major discord and confusion in the team. It was easily enough fixed; upon meeting over video conferencing and discussing the issue, it was found to be a miscommunication; easily put right. My great errors were creating personally-intended content on the project Asana.com site without explaining what it meant, and neglecting to schedule a team meeting for this week until the week had almost gone by.
Once again, we failed to receive client sign-off prior to the due date this week. Yet, this time the deliverable went to the client on Thursday morning. I do not know how to create the materials more quickly. The client takes a while to respond because she is invested in giving us detailed feedback.

Application: When did I do this before? Where could I do this again?

Planning will happen in every project I am involved in. Perhaps more important was the small amount of conflict resolution I mediated, as a part of my role as Project Manager. The team was able to bring a satisfactory conclusion by frank discussion, humility, and listening. Though difficult to go through, it was satisfying to see the end result.

Analysis: Did I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?

Last week, I mentioned the laissez-faire approach to management I had used led to a rush to finish at the end. This week, I attempted to be more directive, which led to some resentment. I will have to try and find a middle ground. Fortunately, the lack of deliverables for week 7 give me plenty of time to sort things out.

Evaluation: How well did I do? What worked? What do I need to improve?

I feel I did well this week (with the hiccups mentioned above). While I do intend to be more directive than I have been in the past, I will certainly endeavor to improve my communication with my team members.

Creation: What should I do next? What is my plan/design?

I will review the content and instructional strategy material created by Laura and give some good, detailed suggestions. I will meet with the group on Thursday to discuss the development of the content. I will complete my readings and assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment