Sunday, November 2, 2014

Reflection upon more literature review work--Week 3

Taxonomy of Reflection: Week 3

Remembering: What did I do?

I added twenty more articles to my literature review.  I completed my report on the meeting with Dr. Dennis.

Understanding: What was important about it?

Compiling the report about Dr. Dennis' ideas was useful in formally putting them down so as to not forget.
Reading and reviewing the additional articles was important, as this week I found that understanding of the central issues and themes of my questions crystalized. I better understood what is going on, what the conflicts are, who the major players are, and so on. I'm also gaining more and more enthusiasm for the project.

Application: When did I do this before? Where could I use it again?

Re: literature review, I did something similar to this last week. I'll presumably do something similar next week as well. This skill is usable for every study I do in my career going forward.
Re: library report; the creation of the report itself is not particularly applicable, but the information within it is very useful. I can see that it will be very helpful as I create my dissertation in the next few years.

Analysis: Do I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?

Just that it was like what I did last week. It was interesting that I started to see the same articles coming up in my running list of important articles, indicating that I am starting to reach saturation of sources in some of my research areas.

Evaluation: How well did I do? What worked? What do I need to improve?

I think I did okay for the most part.  I'm starting to really get this subject and the controversy underlying it. I need to pay closer attention to how the varying articles interrelate. As I write up my outline this week, I'll try and organize my articles according to where in the paper their information will go.

Creation: What should I do next? What's my plan/design?

Finish this thing. Keep on with what is working (most of the process). Link the articles together more. Be sure all loose ends are tied up and gaps in my understanding, filled.

Personal Reflections

I don't have a lot to add here, except to comment that my enthusiasm for this material is growing. I'm starting to see how this subject has influenced education and how this plays into my personal view of the world and education. I've forwarded a few other articles on to my wife, who has enjoyed and digested and summarized them so well that I'm beginning to wonder if we should switch places.

No comments:

Post a Comment