Sunday, December 7, 2014

Meeting the Professor--Week 8

Taxonomy of Reflection: Week 8

Remembering: What did I do?

I met with Dr. Weaver and discussed some ideas she had for the improvement of my literature review.  I put these suggestions into a formal document, and implemented some of them. I also had my wife read through my paper for a second time and give me some feedback.

Understanding: What was important about it?

My better half: Micah, my wife, is a great critic of style and points of good writing.  She has a special distaste for one of my tendencies in writing (i.e., the overuse of commas).  Her review is important, as it grants me feedback on how the paper reads to a person who is not an instructional designer.

Dr. Weaver: the meeting with Dr. Weaver gave me information from a professional instructional design professor's perspective. Thus, she alerted me to missing ideas and important sources that I should include.

Me: the few revisions I was able to complete this week are important for how they improved my paper.

Application: When did I do this before? Where could I use it again?

I've revised papers in many different situations before. This particular instance is most like the process of writing my Masters' thesis, however, with its many revisions, and emphases on perfection of writing and theoretical comprehensivity.

I'm sure to have plenty of talks with professors, colleagues, and my wife over my future works as I go through this process, and as I continue to write academic articles.

Analysis: Do I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?

The revision process itself is a repetitive one.  I am starting to get tired of this paper :)

Evaluation: How well did I do? What worked? What do I need to improve?

I received great feedback, that substantially improved the product. The meeting was very productive. I didn't have much to do this week, but I feel that what was done worked very well.   need to make a final improvement on my paper before turning it in, of course.

Creation: What should I do next? What's my plan/design?

Next, I should make some final changes, perform one last proofread, and turn the paper in.

Personal Reflections

There was not much to do with the paper this week, which was very appreciated.  With lab exams and preparations for finals week at SCO, and running the St. Jude Marathon, the week was busy enough as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment