Monday, December 8, 2014

Finishing the Process--Week 9

Taxonomy of Reflection: Week 9

Remembering: What did I do?

I took the list of recommended changes from Dr. Weaver and my Tasmanian Devils, and updated my literature review accordingly.  I reviewed the paper again, made a few typographical and stylistic updates, and submitted the final draft.

Understanding: What was important about it?

Well, it's important because it marks the end of a major effort; because I feel like I've produced a quality piece of scholarly literature; and because it has taught me a great deal about the subject matter and the academic writing process.  It is also important because it marks another step toward the completion of this program.

Application: When did I do this before? Where could I use it again?

Every time I've had to turn in an assignment, I've experienced a similar feeling.  The revision process is similar to that which has been discussed in previous weeks; it is notable for being the last.

I will use this again for every written element I polish and submit, to professors, students, printers, and journals.

Analysis: Do I see any patterns or relationships in what I did?

Not except for an extension of the revision process itself.

Evaluation: How well did I do? What worked? What do I need to improve?

There wasn't a lot to do, so I was able to devote myself to producing my best output.  I feel like it all worked.  I did have trouble fitting some of the revision ideas into the flow of my literature review, but I think it worked out in the end.

Creation: What should I do next? What's my plan/design?

Next, I will sit back and wait for the tide to come in.

Personal Reflections

I completed this final step very early, as I wanted to complete the process while I still had time to do so.  Final examination start at SCO this week, and my attentions are sorely needed elsewhere.

All in all, this was a very rewarding semester, as I produced a product I am proud of, learned a great deal about a topic, and even experienced abject failure, and what it is like to be unable to cope.  I saw my daughter's heartbeat on a sonogram, and I ran a marathon.  The (football) Tigers are up, and the (basketball) Tigers are down.  The people ride in a hole in the ground...

I also dared to end the semester on a movie reference.

Full stop.  Click "Publish."  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment