Sunday, October 20, 2013

Historical Research

A quick entry today, as I find myself in the middle of a (working) vacation in the Pacific Northwest!  I reviewed Leedy chapter 7 about historical research, and have found it an interesting subject.  Being one who has seen the resulting publication of such research projects, it is easy to assume that the researchers merely read a lot, then come up with a theory that matches their understanding.  After all, this is how we reach most of conclusions naturally--with snap judgments, based on a multitude of factors.  It is a mechanism that is well-suited to help us survive in a dangerous world, but my lead to misconceptions that are inexcusable in research.

The regimented nature of historical research is, therefore, unexpected and fascinating to me.  I like the idea of theorizing and understanding the true nature of events and ideas based upon analysis of the available historical data.  Perhaps in having a closer look at where our profession has been, we can avoid its mistakes and repeat its successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment