Monday, September 30, 2013

Thoughts on research methodology

No article review today.  As directed, I shall instead discuss how my assigned reading this week led me to a realization about research methodology.  A few points:

  • Though I was previously unaware of the appropriate names for them, I see now that I have been engaged in the process of evaluating studies and claims against the absolutes of reliability and validity for years.  I have made a habit (almost a fetish) of looking for the story-behind-the-story, the hidden flaw in the reasoning, or in the methodology, that made a conclusion ill-founded.  Reading these chapters, however, makes me realize that no study instrument can hope to be purely valid and reliable.  All we can strive for is minimization of the error, since we are indirectly looking at the absolute truth.
  • What mechanisms are in place in the qualitative methodology to prevent reading one's own biases into the theory?  Although one could argue that the developed theory will be quantitatively-evaluated in future studies, and thus biases will be removed from the theory in time, the lag of time between these two events seems dangerous to me.  As an observer of culture and politics, I have seen first-hand the problems that can arise when a theory is proposed that takes hold of the public consciousness, is accepted as fact, and then acted upon, before its assertions can be quantitatively tested.  And so, money and effort are spent on a seemingly accurate theory that has all of its basis on the interpretation of one learned researcher.  Surely, then, it behooves the wise and honest researcher to limit his biases on the front end, creating the most objective theory possible.  So what is done to assure this?
  • While reading the chapter in Leedy & Ormrod (2013), I was struck with an unusual association: Quantitative research : Qualitative research :: Traditional journalism : "New" journalism (a la Wolfe) ::  Perhaps not very insightful, but just a thought.
  • My personal activity (as stated above) has been qualitative in most informal matters.  Yet, when it comes to research, I always look for quantitative data (as befits my scientific training).  Would I be better off if my personal activities become more regimented; and my professional, more free-ranging?
  • Finally, the most robust response I had to these chapters was the stringency that goes into appropriate qualitative research.  I had always had a poor view of such research, thinking it a mere "soft science.'  I begin to understand, however, that, done well, it can teach us much about the world around us.
----------------------
Work Cited
Leedy, P. D. & Ormrod, J. E. (2013). Practical Research: Planning and Design (10th ed.). Boston: Pearson.

Work Consulted
Lunenburg, F. C. & Irby, B. J. (2008). Writing a Successful Thesis or Dissertation. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have found that I too have come to some of the same conclusions. I just have not been able to articulate it. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete